Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Frozen's Elsa Cosplay

A few months ago, I attended Seattle's Sakura-Con as Elsa from Disney's Frozen. I made my own cosplay for this event, and it was actually quite easy. I thought I would share what I did in case anyone was interested in re-creating this look (even though Halloween is over and there are probably no other cons for a while... Oh well, the earlier you start the easier time you will have). 

My finished Elsa, along with Anna, and.. Loki?

Step 1) The first and most important thing you will need is a dress. I have to say, gowns are a beezy to sew. If you've got the skills and you find the correct fabric at your local fabric store, go for it. However, as someone who has done it and knows how difficult it was, I would suggest beginners purchase their own dress pre-made. Some potential dresses can be found here and here
Basically you are looking for a long blue flowy gown. Prom season is one of the best times to find this type of dress, although a simple Amazon or Ebay search should do it.

Step 2) Depending on the type of dress you have purchased, you will need a corset to layer on top. I purchased a plan blue one from a party store. You will also need square sequin pieces to cover it with. A hot glue gun is your best friend here. I only used blue but a mixture of blue, silver, and even white would be adorable. You can find them at your local craft store or purchase them here.
Simply glue the pieces onto your corset so that they cover the entire thing.

Well, maybe not *simply*


Step 3) Warning: The cape is the worst. By far the worst thing to make (besides the actual gown if you venture to sew your own). The cape, dun dun dun. 

I'm not even going to try and explain this step. So, in the interest of time, here's an amazing blog post tutorial on how to do it correctly found here

It's difficult and time consuming but it looks so beautiful

You can use the same material for the sleeves and arm pieces, you can go without them (because cons can be hot and gross) or you can be like me and follow the advice of Promise Phan in one of her videos and use blue or glitter colored pantyhose! They are super easy to find and really look great. 

Step 4) The fun stuff! Now that the dress is done it's time for the accessories! You will need: 

A wig, found here. Some blue colored contacts found here. Some shoes. Because I don't like to wear anything but flats anywhere to cons, I just went with a simple blue pair of flats from my local Target. 

You can get all DIY with your shoes if you like though, but most dresses will cover them up anyway

Bonus) Back when I did my cosplay there was a Frozen craze sweeping the nation (although I think it may still be happening this holiday season). This meant I could not complete my cosplay in the way I wanted, which was to add a cute Olaf plushie!  


Try Amazon, the Disney Store, or Target

Step 6) Put it all together with makeup girl!

Fun fact: The "beads" on my corset are actually paper because my order didn't arrive on time

And there you have it, my finished look. If you're interested in Seattle's Sakura Con you can find information about it here. I will be attending this year with all new cosplays so look out for more blog posts on my finished looks in the coming weeks.

Thanks for reading y'all, talk to you soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS